PDA

View Full Version : Master server idea on gaining more players

RoboCop
3rd August 2015, 07:53 PM
Now I know that most Source games like TF2 or CSS no longer use custom Master servers nor allow to set masterservers assigned like "setmaster add hl2master.steampowered.com:27015" in the server.cfg for TF2 as it appears Steam dropped that to prevent DoS from exceeding using the setmaster command.

However I believe for the non-Source games like CoD4 and maybe KF we could use master servers for Qtracker, but maybe more if we are lucky. I've managed to get our CoD4 servers on QTracker but not on GameRanger so far...but if you have a look you see what I've managed to achieve:-

This happened when I added in server.cfg:-

// Master servers
set sv_master1 "cod4master.activision.com"
set sv_master2 "cod4authorize.activision.com"
set sv_master3 "cod4master.infinityward.com"
set sv_master4 "cod4update.activision.com"
set sv_master5 "master.gameranger.com"
set sv_master6 "master.qtracker.com"
set sv_gamespy "0"

The first 4 are the default master servers for CoD4 to appear, but the other masterservers where used for GameSpy master servers, which are now closed down and defunct. So I did some research and added the masterservers for QTracker and GameRanger. QTracker appears successful - as you can see on this attachment, but no joy on GR; some other masterservers like clanservers.net (now clanservers.com?) and master.gametracker.com had been used for other servers, if I am no mistaken.

Now seeing that most GameSpy or dead 3rd Party Server Browsers that we had to displace for those replacement Master Servers, I say that's our important task for our gameservers to remain alive. But for Source Games and maybe on BF4 and BFBC2, those extra Master Server assigned IP address, would be ineffective...

But there are other ways like some patches or fixes like this CoD4 Server Cache fix here:-

http://apg-clan.org/vbdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=667

For Quake 3 Arena I noticed you can get ioQuake 3 free special patch for Quake 3 Arena. I know Quake Live is the new replacement for Q3A but if like for some Free MMO games like from FaceBook Zynga games that died recently, and EA's BattleField Free2Play or Heroes...well I may fear Quake Live may end up like that in the future all of a sudden...depending on iD's Software funding. So my best advise is don't get too committed on not so promising MMO games or Ranked servers that are powered by 3rd Party Master Servers - like BattleField 2142 was. But EA should of devised their own Master Server in the first place until 2010 when BFBC2 came, ain't it (?) :torn:

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicBelarusianBulgarianChineseCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianItalianJapaneseKoreanLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishTaiwaneseThaiTurkishUkrainianVietnameseYiddish
Integration with translations by vBET Translator 4.10.1